WaitWhat is a media invention company committed to the creation of highly-differentiated, premium content that is gender-balanced and diverse in its subject profiles, and boundary-breaking in its formats. Founded in 2017 by former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff, whose combined leadership built TED Talks from a concept to 1 billion views/listens each year, WaitWhat’s inaugural media properties include the critically acclaimed Sincerely, X, the 2018 Webby Award-winning podcast Masters of Scale, and Should This Exist, an exciting new podcast hosted by Silicon Valley investor and Internet pioneer Caterina Fake.
In everything we create, we aim to elicit contagious emotions: awe, wonder, curiosity, and mastery. From the get-to, we design our media to live across many different forms and formats (audio, video, virtual, live, print, etc.) in order to scale as thriving independent businesses.
We are a joyful startup that has closed our Series A funding in January 2019. We’re now building out a team that’s as diverse as it is creative, brought together by the desire to create amazing media experiences. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our time: to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
We’re looking for an organized, process-oriented, and conscientious Executive Assistant to support our co-founders in our next phase of growth. You must be able to work well independently in a fast paced environment and project a sense of warmth and calm, even in the midst of occasional chaos. Your organizational work will help all of us be better, happier and more efficient — and this should give you a sense of gratification! You must also love start-up culture, feel energized by team-oriented environments, and have an all-hands-on-deck attitude.
A great executive assistant is like the operational brain for the cofounders. You’re much more than just an assistant; you’re a logistical wizard; an operational sounding board; an intuitive people person; a trusted adviser. On a practical day-to-day level, you’ll:
- Manage and organize calendars for the co-founders, who have frequent travel
- Review schedules daily and ensure that executives are aware of any materials they need to prepare for upcoming meetings, and support with the preparation of these materials as necessary
- Plan and coordinate all business travel, including booking flights & hotels
- Manage logistics for meetings led by co-founders including organizing agendas, booking meeting rooms, preparing written materials, managing catering, and playing “calendar Tetris” with the team
- Ensure effective flow of meetings; conference rooms organized, video conference set-up, confirm meetings in advance
- Facilitate internal communications as needed, and serve as the point of contact for both internal and external requests/questions
- Understand the needs of each key person on the team, to help the cofounders support them well, and assist with employee recognition for accomplishments and milestones
- Handle special assignments that arise, such as research on strategic topics, or events planning for company offsites and social events
- General administrative duties
- Bachelor's degree required
- 3+ years administrative support for C-level executives or comparable experience
- A strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
- .Ability to anticipate tasks that need to be taken without waiting for instruction
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and multi-task
- Ability to take initiative and act independently
- Exhibit good judgment, discretion, strong interpersonal skills, and an attention to detail
- Very comfortable with the range of modern office software suites: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Gsuite Office Products
This is a FT position, based in downtown Manhattan. We offer competitive salaries and a benefits package that’s competitive with larger companies (We believe in taking care of our team.). We work long hours, but we also rest. (Our whole company closes for 2 weeks in the summer and the week between Christmas and the New Year, so we can recharge). We’re committed to 50/50 gender balance, and diversity of all kinds — in our media properties, among our investors and on our team: women, minorities and anyone with an unconventional background are strongly encouraged to apply. Also, we only hire extremely nice people.