Head of Brand Partnerships
WaitWhat is a media invention company committed to the creation of highly-differentiated, premium content that is gender-balanced and diverse in its subject profiles, and boundary-breaking in its formats. Founded in 2017 by former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff, whose combined leadership built TED Talks from a concept to 1 billion views/listens each year, WaitWhat’s inaugural media properties include the critically acclaimed Sincerely, X, the 2018 Webby Award-winning podcast Masters of Scale, and Should This Exist, an exciting new podcast hosted by Silicon Valley investor and Internet pioneer Caterina Fake.
In everything we create, we aim to elicit contagious emotions: awe, wonder, curiosity, and mastery. From the get-to, we design our media to live across many different forms and formats (audio, video, virtual, live, print, etc.) in order to scale as thriving independent businesses.
We are a joyful startup that has closed our Series A funding in January 2019. We’re now building out a team that’s as diverse as it is creative, brought together by the desire to create amazing media experiences. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our time: to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
As the Head of Brand Partnerships at WaitWhat, you will lead our efforts to build key relationships with domestic and international brand partners (sponsors) to drive growth and identify new revenue opportunities. The ideal candidate will have significant relevant experience in seeking out, assessing, and successfully executing on partnership opportunities and other strategic initiatives in the media and advertising industry. You must also love start-up culture, feel energized by team-oriented environments, have an all-hands-on-deck attitude, and be excited about the limitless possibilities of pushing the boundaries of business opportunities for an innovative media startup.
- Own the process for identifying, pursuing, and executing partnerships and other strategic initiatives with brands to drive business opportunities and revenue growth
- Direct management and oversight of domestic and international partnerships activities
- Elevate WaitWhat’s brand by developing creative and high-impact business opportunities and solutions for partners
- Provide timely and accurate communication systems of all partnership activities to ensure efficient cross-collaboration within the organization and with partners
- Build and manage a partnership and/or business development team for WaitWhat
- Collaborate with co-founders to chart the company’s future course
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters Degree preferred
- 7+ years experience in leadership roles over brand or corporate partnership, with an existing network and relationships with brands and agencies
- Experience in negotiation and structuring partnership agreements with brands and agencies
- Demonstrated experience in building, managing, and scaling a team or department
- An aptitude and appetite for switching between strategic thinking and planning and tactical, roll-up-your-sleeves, get-in-the-weeds day-to-day work
- A strong desire to build and grow a business
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a must
- Natural enthusiasm and curiosity
- Very comfortable with all the tools of modern sales and office life: Excel, GoogleDocs, PowerPoint, Keynote, etc.
This is a FT position, based in downtown Manhattan. (We’d consider a remote role so long as you’re able to travel frequently) We offer competitive salaries and a benefits package that’s competitive with larger companies (We believe in taking care of our team.). We work long hours, but we also rest. (Our whole company closes for 2 weeks in the summer and the week between Christmas and the New Year, so we can recharge). We’re committed to 50/50 gender balance, and diversity of all kinds — in our media properties, among our investors and on our team: women, minorities and anyone with an unconventional background are strongly encouraged to apply. Also, we only hire extremely nice people.