Guest Bookings Associate Producer
WaitWhat is a media invention company committed to the creation of highly-differentiated, premium content that is gender-balanced and diverse in its subject profiles, and boundary-breaking in its formats. Founded in 2017 by former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff, whose combined leadership built TED Talks from a concept to 1 billion views/listens each year, WaitWhat’s inaugural media properties include the critically acclaimed Sincerely, X, the 2018 Webby Award-winning podcast Masters of Scale, and Should This Exist, an exciting new podcast hosted by Silicon Valley investor and Internet pioneer Caterina Fake.
In everything we create, we aim to elicit contagious emotions: awe, wonder, curiosity, and mastery. From the get-to, we design our media to live across many different forms and formats (audio, video, virtual, live, print, etc.) in order to scale as thriving independent businesses.
We are a joyful startup that has closed our Series A funding in January 2019. We’re now building out a team that’s as diverse as it is creative, brought together by the desire to create amazing media experiences. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our time: to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
We are looking to add a member to our team who is dedicated to guest reach-out and booking for Masters of Scale (an original WaitWhat podcast hosted by Reid Hoffman, Co-founder of LinkedIn and Investor at Greylock) as well as other podcasts currently in development at WaitWhat. The candidate should be passionate about creating compelling audio, and have a deep network of potential guests that they can pull from.
On Masters of Scale, we feature anchor guests as well as cameo guests on each episode. Previous anchor guests include: Arianna Huffington (Thrive Global, Huffington Post), Howard Schultz (Starbucks), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Daniel Ek (Spotify), Kevin Systrom (Instagram), Marissa Meyer (Lumi Labs, Yahoo, Google), Reed Hastings (Netflix), Bryan Chesky (AirBnB), Caterina Fake (Flickr), Stacy Brown-Philpott (TaskRabbit), Sara Blakely (Spanx).
For Masters of Scale we also frequently approach guests to appear on the show for “Cameo” interviews — short interviews that bolster the main idea shared in the show. (For example, Nobel Laureate Daniel Kahneman, Olympic gold medalist Natasha Hastings, chef Dominique Ansel, MIT Media Lab Director Joi Ito and Hall of Fame sportscaster Dick Stockton.) We hire tape-sync recording engineers and conduct these interviews by phone, with one of our producers (not Reid himself).
Our criteria for cameo guests is as follows:
- Unexpected, out-of-the-box and delightful! We are NOT looking for bland academic experts.
- Comes from outside tech and preferably outside business.
- Well-known with a large social following
- Pitching guest ideas for a variety of different shows at WaitWhat
- Guest reach-out, coordinating schedules with guests and our show producers
- Booking a wide variety of guests: business, entertainment, writers, podcasters, athletes, etc.
- Conducting, recording pre-interviews
- Booking audio engineers, tape-syncs, recording studios to conduct interviews
- Ensuring appropriate releases are signed by each guest
- Additional duties as needed
- Minimum of 3 years previous booking experience with proven track record for confirming high profile show guests
- Excellent written communication skills to create highly tailored, thoughtful outreach to invite show guests
- Rich research skills to uncover
- Deep network in media, entertainment, publishing, booking, etc.
- Editorial judgement
- Research Experience
- Ability to manage deadline pressure
- Social media knowledge
- Podcast Savvy
- Podcast/Audio experience is a plus
Please note this is a part time freelance position. Remote candidates are welcome to apply.