WaitWhat is a media invention company committed to the creation of highly-differentiated, premium content that is gender-balanced and diverse in its subject profiles, and boundary-breaking in its formats. Founded in 2017 by former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff, whose combined leadership built TED Talks from a concept to 1 billion views/listens each year, WaitWhat’s inaugural media properties include the critically acclaimed Sincerely, X, the 2018 Webby Award-winning podcast Masters of Scale, and Should This Exist, an exciting new podcast hosted by Silicon Valley investor and Internet pioneer Caterina Fake.
In everything we create, we aim to elicit contagious emotions: awe, wonder, curiosity, and mastery. From the get-to, we design our media to live across many different forms and formats (audio, video, virtual, live, print, etc.) in order to scale as thriving independent businesses.
We are a joyful startup that has closed our Series A funding in January 2019. We’re now building out a team that’s as diverse as it is creative, brought together by the desire to create amazing media experiences. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our time: to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
We’re looking for a graphic designer who is passionate about typography, color, illustration, photography, and composition. You love branding — both creating new brands and ensuring brand consistency across media platforms. You light up when pushing new visual possibilities within brand guidelines. You are eager to learn from an experienced design director and are comfortable taking creative direction. You thrive in a culture that celebrates iterative design processes (meaning: Many ideas, many revisions, lots of creative input — all in the name of shaping the best possible idea). You are detail-oriented and find great pleasure in implementing visual systems. You’re deeply curious, creatively courageous, and looking for a job where you can put your talents to work for media you believe in. You must love start-up culture, feel energized by team-oriented environments, and have an all-hands-on-deck attitude.
We’re looking for candidates with at least 2-3 years of professional experience. What we care about most is your design ability, your fascination with branding, your capacity to learn, your willingness to contribute, and your desire to methodically build something meaningful from the ground up.
- Create stunning visual assets for Wait, What? and the media properties we are creating, including social media graphics, gifs, animations, etc under the creative direction from our Head of Design
- Work with team members to help translate their feedback into clear design direction that supports their objectives.
- Implement brand guidelines when creating assets to ensure brand consistency
- Participate in design critiques and make design changes based on feedback from our team
- Follow design trends, with an eye toward experimentation with emerging tools and techniques
- Name and organize files using an existing organizational structure (and improve upon that system where you see opportunity!)
- Other responsibilities as assigned
The ideal candidate will have:
- BFA in Graphic Design/Communication Design or a similar field
- Superb design, typography and layout skills.
- Animation, motion graphic and video editing skills strongly desired.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite; specifically Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Premiere and After Effects are a plus
- Web design experience including HTML and CSS is a plus
- Experience working in environments where you are absorb client feedback and turn around updates at a fast pace
- Strong design vocabulary and ability to translate visual ideas into written language and vice versa
- Ability to take a design and format into a variety of proportions
- Understand resolution, dimensions and various graphic file formats
- Ability to think creatively in order to identify and solve problems
- Fluency with all major social media platforms (particularly Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and SnapChat)
- Digital photography skills a plus
- Impeccable organizational skills and ability to multi-task across different projects under tight deadlines
- A voracious appetite for online media: blogs, video, podcasts and all types of social media engagement
- Natural curiosity and a kind-hearted disposition
This is a FT position, based in downtown Manhattan. We offer a generous benefits package that’s competitive with larger companies (We believe in taking care of our team.) We work long hours, but we also rest. (Our whole company closes for 2 weeks in the summer and the week between Christmas and the New Year, so we can recharge). We’re committed to 50/50 gender balance, and diversity of all kinds — in our media properties, among our investors and on our team: women, minorities and anyone with an unconventional background are strongly encouraged to apply. Also, we only hire extremely nice people.