Executive Producer, Masters of Scale
WaitWhat is a media invention company committed to the creation of highly-differentiated, premium content that is gender-balanced and diverse in its subject profiles, and boundary-breaking in its formats. Founded in 2017 by former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff, whose combined leadership built TED Talks from a concept to 1 billion views/listens each year, WaitWhat’s inaugural media properties include the critically acclaimed Sincerely, X, the 2018 Webby Award-winning podcast Masters of Scale, and Should This Exist, an exciting new podcast hosted by Silicon Valley investor and Internet pioneer Caterina Fake.
In everything we create, we aim to elicit contagious emotions: awe, wonder, curiosity, and mastery. From the get-to, we design our media to live across many different forms and formats (audio, video, virtual, live, print, etc.) in order to scale as thriving independent businesses.
We are a joyful startup that has closed our Series A funding in January 2019. We’re now building out a team that’s as diverse as it is creative, brought together by the desire to create amazing media experiences. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our time: to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
About Masters of Scale
Masters of Scale is an original podcast hosted by LinkedIn Co-Founder and Greylock Partner Reid Hoffman showing how companies grow from zero to a gazillion. The series unfolds like a music-infused detective story as Hoffman tests his theories with famous founders. Masters of Scale won the 2018 Webby Award for Best Business Podcast. We believe its unique sound and story structure are core to its identity and success. The innovative format incorporates an immersive cold open; unexpected “cameo” guests (among them: a Nobel Laureate, an Olympic athlete, a Hall-of-Fame sportscaster...); actionable insights and innovative sound design. Each episode is scored with original music by our composers. Guests have included Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg, Google’s Eric Schmidt, NetFlix’s Reed Hastings, Airbnb’s Brian Chesky, Starbucks’ Howard Schultz, Spanx’s Sara Blakely, Spotify’s Daniel Ek, and TaskRabbit’s Stacy Brown-Philpot, among many others. Masters of Scale is the first American media program to commit to a 50-50 gender balance for guests.
You have a deep background covering business and/or technology, with a particular love for stories of startups and innovation. You have a strong background in audio / radio, as well as experience in other media. You have experience leading teams, both editorial and production. You know how to tell a great story and how to build an idea. You love start-up culture — both writing about it and working in it! You feel energized by team-oriented environments, and have an all-hands-on-deck attitude. You love creating innovative, genre-defining content that doesn’t just follow a formula. And of course you have a sense of humor.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to explore the widest range of possibilities; to both deepen your skills and stretch your existing talents in new ways; to take real ownership and responsibility for projects; to help invent new genre-defining media/technology properties; to be a respected member of a creative cross-disciplinary team; to be inspired and delighted by the media you work on; to creatively partner with a range of experienced colleagues; and to be part of a low-ego, high-collaboration, “all hands on deck” startup environment, this job could be perfect for you.
- Write episode scripts, from a gripping cold open to a suspenseful storyline that expertly weaves together narration from the host and clips from the guests. Similarly, review scripts from freelance writers, provide notes and steer the editorial direction of the show
- Own story elements — whether it’s unexpected guests, original reporting, creative sound design or music — anything that pushes the creative boundaries of the show
- Oversee the curation of guests: both the well-known entrepreneurs we feature as “anchor” guests and the “cameo” guests who add color, depth and delight to each episode
- Work directly with the show’s host to explore innovative theories around scaling businesses
- Lead recording sessions with the host
- Collaborate with our original music composers and audio editors to successfully deliver episodes that soar creatively — on time and on budget
- Develop creative insight-driven ads in conjunction with the host and show advertisers
- Support audience engagement tactics, including social media outreach, email newsletters and engagement in online communities
- Support the extension of Masters of Scale into other media, including our animated series with Mashable and future initiatives
- Support the extension of Masters of Scale into evergreen, written content to live on our website
- Contribute creatively to other editorial initiatives within WaitWhat
- At least 7+ years of writing and producing podcasts / radio programs that reach a large audience. Experience in other media is a big plus.
- A passion for telling innovative stories and creating genre busting programming.
- Interest in bringing to life creative, human-driven stories — particularly in business and technology
- Highly organized and able to meet weekly deadlines
- Proven critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal
This is a FT position, based in downtown Manhattan. We offer a generous benefits package that’s competitive with larger companies (We believe in taking care of our team.) We work long hours, but we also rest. (Our whole company closes for 2 weeks in the summer and the week between Christmas and the New Year, so we can recharge). We’re committed to 50/50 gender balance, and diversity of all kinds — in our media properties, among our investors and on our team: women, minorities and anyone with an unconventional background are strongly encouraged to apply. Also, we only hire extremely nice people.